Saturday, August 15, 2015

IRIS



    As I start to grow up and mature little by little there are certain types of women I find myself interested in. Especially in this day and age where women are allowed and even encouraged to be unfiltered and themselves. I love women who have a cause and do things that make them happy its truly inspiring. I first spotted Iris Apfel in a documentary on Bill Cunningham the photographer best known for his work in the New York Times street-style section. There was something so compelling about her, she just had such a presence that makes you want to know more about her. So of course I deep googled search her because I am obsessed with google and came up with the most fascinating information. 
    Iris Apfel has worked  for WWD, taken part in several design restoration projects in the White House for nine presidents. In 2005 the Costume Institute of the Metropolitan Museum created an exhibition on Apfel's style it was called  Rara Avis ( Rare Bird): The Irreverent Iris Apfel. And lets not even talk about her style because she is the most stylish 94 year old woman I've ever seen. The late Albert Maysles recently did a documentary on Apfel and I was so excited to watch but  with school I never got a chance. Luckily Film Forum in Manhattan was still showing the documentary and I finally got a chance to see IRIS on the big screen 2-3 week ago. It was completely worth the wait Iris Apfel is a complete goddess and I love everything about the life that she lives and her personality. She's one cool chick and she's definitely the type of woman I'd aspire to be like.
    A lot of girls think that in order to make it to the big girl table you have to stab people in the back or be a complete bitch. I love this era where older women are showing younger women that you don't have to be anything other then your true self. Not everyone can be the most beautiful person in the room but you can be the most friendliest, the smartest, the best writer,the most stylish.There are so many other things that we have to offer and by focusing solely on ones outside appearance we put ourselves into a box; when we have so much more to offer. Beauty is not everything because honestly we're all ugly in someones eyes so. Fuck em and be you embrace yourself for who  you are.
xoxo Lulu

(*Disclaimer:None of the pictures used in this post are owned by me.)
SHARE:

No comments

Post a Comment

© ITSLULUSWORLD. All rights reserved.
Blogger Templates by pipdig